Administering Server Accounts
In the process of auditing user access to your servers, you may need to make certain changes to some of the accounts. From within the Halo Portal, you can perform basic account-management tasks, such as editing, deactivating, and creating accounts.
Edit an account
To edit an account—for example, to remove root privileges, change the login name, or edit password requirements—take these steps:
- On the Account Details display for that account (on the Account Details page, the All Accounts page, or the Account in Group page), click Edit. The Edit Local Account page appears.
- Change any of the available account values, password-generation options, or password-expiration options.
- Click Save to save your changes.
Note: If you instantiate your servers from a template image, you can make the changes on the template so that all future cloned instances will automatically have the updated account information.
Deactivate an account
To deactivate an account—for example, to get rid of the account of an employee no longer with the organization—take these steps:
- On the Account Details display for that account (on the Account Details page, the All Accounts page, or the Account in Group page), click Deactivate.
- In the dialog box that opens, click OK confirm that you want to deactivate the user.
Note: To restore a deactivated user, click the Activate link on the Account Details display for that account. (For a de-activated account, the Deactivate link becomes Activate.)
Create an account
Halo also gives you the convenience of creating server accounts from within the Halo Portal. To create a new account, do this:
- On the Server Access Details page for a server, click Create new Account.
The New Local Account page appears.
- Fill in the account details and click Create.
Halo creates a random password for the user and displays it above the success banner in the Halo Portal. You can then provide that password to the new user to supply at initial login.
Note: If you instantiate from a server template, create the account on the template so that all future cloned instances will automatically have the new account.
// <![CDATA[ var pdfTitle="Server Account Management"; var pdfURL="http://www.cloudpassage.com/document_images/sam/account-management.pdf"; specifyPDF(pdfTitle, pdfURL); // ]]>